Mark Gallo is a married father of three and a grandfather of one, his most prized accomplishment. He was born in Canton, Ohio and moved to the desert when he was six, 51 years ago. He is also a member of the 2010 class of the MSBL World Series Hall of Fame and has been announcing games at Tempe Diablo Stadium for the MSBL World Series for all thirty years of its existence. “I was doing the math and I think I have announced over 600 games for MSBL.”

Mark’s full time gig is as the recreation supervisor for the City of Mesa, which oversees HoHoKam Stadium and Fitch Park, now home of the Athletics, and the Riverview auxiliary fields, practice facility for the Cubs. “I’ve been supervising at HoHoKam since 2009 and have been with the city for 31 years,” explained Gallo. “HoHoKam was the Cubbies home for a long time and then the Athletics took over in 2015. They are certainly different organizations but I enjoy working with both of them now. Fortunately the City of Mesa allows me the time to announce on weekends and nights during the World Series.”

Mark’s MSBL association as announcer at Tempe Diablo Stadium took hold thirty years ago but under a different looking facility. “Thirty years ago my friend Joel was running Tempe Diablo and he told me about MSBL needing someone to announce games and create a truly professional atmosphere for the players. I was immediately hooked and love it to this day.”

So what was different about broadcasting at the stadium back in the late 80’s? “The stadium at that time was one level and we broadcasted out of a box that wasn’t air conditioned. There was no fancy scoreboard either. We just sat in the box and announced the game. It was just pure baseball and we loved every minute.” Mark doesn’t have a broadcasting background and didn’t spend years honing his skills at some obscure radio station. “My dad was always a huge sports fan, as am I, and I love baseball and football and am actually a basketball official so I keep my finger in the sports arena.”

“That first year back in 1988 I was the only announcer. I worked games at 9:00 am, 1:00 pm, 5:00 pm and 9:00 pm every day. I would then help compile the newsletter with then tournament director Kurt Knop, go to Kinkos at 2:00 am to make copies, catch a nap in my car while they were being printed, then delivered them to all of the motels. I’d manage to get home for three or four hours of sleep and then do it all over again the next day. It was pretty crazy.”

What is possibly the craziest or most special moment in thirty years and 600 games of announcing for MSBL? “Two or three years ago I was with the manager of a team while going over his lineup and I noticed the name Kenny Chesney as the catcher. I remarked that it is really something to have a player with the same name. Well, I was told that it WAS Kenny Chesney. I was able to meet him and talk for a while and we talked baseball and football. Country music never came up. He was a great guy and a very good catcher. He trailed every play and knew how to play the game.”

“I’m also a huge Red Sox fan and to see Roger Clemens throwing against Oil Can Boyd a couple of years ago here at the stadium was really a special night. I have a ton of MSBL memories and they’re all good. I look forward to announcing more games in the years ahead after I retire from my day job!”